Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Hineni: Here Am I!



“Ultimately, man should not ask what the meaning of his life is, but rather must recognize that it is he who is asked." Victor Frankl

"Before I can tell my life what I want to do with it, I must listen to my life telling me who I am." Parker Palmer

First we must surrender in stillness and silence.

Then, in order to truly live with open hands, it must be seen and expressed by the open mind, open heart, and open will.

It took me a while to truly understand the depth of all of these openings but I must admit that the one I struggled with most to understand is the OPEN WILL. But each of these openings depend on each other. The heart cannot open until the mind is open. In the same way, the will opens as an expression of the inner self; the open mind and the open heart. 

This is what is called integrity, which is greatly missing today, especially among the religious groups. If I say that I am living with open hands, then the question becomes are these open hands expressed by an open mind and an open heart. But none of this matters is we are not WILLING to live our lives as an expression of  our inner values and inner journey. The open will is where the rubber hits the road, it is our testimony to our integrity, where soul and role are one. Inner = Outer. Beliefs and spirit = a life of compassion, patience, stillness, contentment, and simplicity.



Hineni: Here Am I!

“Why do you hurry?

When you rush, you lose things along the way.

But when you slow down, things come to you.”

(Bedouin Guide)

As I progress through this life, growing older, growing up, growing down, slowing down, paying more attention, appreciating life more, seeing more clearly that which is essential; I realize more and more that less is more. But what does that mean? And what is the tangible and visible expression of living knowing that less really is more?


Go go go. More more more. Higher higher higher. Further further further. Bigger bigger bigger.

Climb that mountain. Run that marathon. Go for it all. Never give up. Never give in. Never stop.


All of our lives, society is telling us to throw ourselves into everything we do. Be the best. Excel over all others. Waking up in the morning to some inner voice from somewhere saying, be ready, psych yourself up to give it your all. So we exercise until injury stops us. We climb the career ladder until we hit the ceiling, like the Peter principle tells us: rising to our highest level of incompetence. We strive to be popular until our friends begin to drift away, as they always do, as everything always does. We religion our way through life. But when we religion our way into the abyss, there is nothing but the abyss staring back; empty doing, empty praying, empty singing, empty study of the holy books; a weariness of the flesh. And even the silent listening of worship becomes more and more silent. Where is the light? Where is the inner voice? Where is meaning? What is meaning? Where is purpose? What is purpose?


The longer I live, the smaller I become; fading fading fading into nothingness.

The longer I live, the less I know; receding receding receding into the mystery 

in silent stupor and awe. Staring staring staring at the wall, seeing nothing.

The longer I live, the less I’m right, less less less telling.

The longer I live, the less I want to be right, less less less convincing anyone of anything.

The longer I live, the less speaking, more more more listening.

The longer I live, the less I know, more more more questions questions questions.

The longer I live, the less I believe without questioning questioning questioning.


We come to this earth alone in stillness and in darkness. Unaware. 

When we are born, we are startled awake by a baby’s cry, oh, that’s me.

We leave this earth alone in stillness and in darkness. Unaware.

Yet, while we are here, we exhaust ourselves with rushing about 

In the clamoring noise and glaring lights. Always on. Nonstop.

Desperate to leave something behind, to leave some legacy.


During the years between the cradle and the grave, 

we turn up the volume and turn on the neon lights, 

while we search for that right immortality project 

that will halt the lifelong terror that is pursuing 

and haunting us every moment of every day: 

the intolerable fear of death, 

and knowing that the moment we are born 

is the moment we begin to die. 



So we live to live. But in order to do that, 

we must live to find a way to halt the only thing

that is certain, our imminent demise. 

So we live loud to drown out our terror.

We will not accept it. We did not sign up for this. 

Death must be overcome. 


So we find the right religious or spiritual belief system 

that convinces us that we can and will overcome death. 

Something we can believe whether it is true or not… 

And then we die. Wondering why.


As a single father, there was never ending worry for so many years

about the welfare of my kids; 

needing money, needing food, lacking energy, 

needing companionship, needing help, 

needing sleep, always needing sleep.


Worrying and wondering. Worrying and weary.

Tattered and torn, worn and weary to the bone.

Constantly hoping to just survive, to stay alive,

clinging to life and wondering why.


But being a father gave me meaning, 

purpose, joy, satisfaction.

Nothing filled me so full 

of life and love and peace.


As life goes by and I grow older and older.

Life is changing. Changing. Changing.


I used to be full

And overflowing

With energy and joy and hope 

knowing someday I’ll have it all. 

The american dream, signed and sealed: 

family, career, religion, money, things,

as everything continually slips through my fingers.


Striving. Yearning. Wanting. 

Longing. Wishing. Expecting.

Bigger. Greater. Better.

Career. Success. Renown. 


Grow down. Slow down.

Surrender. Let go. 

It all fades away anyway.



Now? Old. Empty. Less. Still. Quiet. Peace.


 Listening. Observing. Wondering. Calm.


Ready. Waiting. Willing. Open.



Hineni Hineni Hineni.*

Here I am. Here and Now.

Selah…**



Aging. Fading into the nothingness.


Full and overflowing with no-thing.


Spent. Empty. None of me left.


Wanting nothing.

Longing for nothing.

Desiring nothing 

except to just be.


Open hands, open heart, 

open mind, open will.

Open eyes, open ears.

Observing, listening, wondering.


Ready. Waiting. Willing.


Hineni: Here am I.*

Turning the page.

Selah…**


Neverending change.

Constant transition.

What’s next?


If good happens, good.

If bad happens, good.

(Lao Tzu)


“Let me live as long as life is better for me,

and take my life if death is better for me.”

(ancient apostle)




This rips and tears at me in such wondrous ways!


The Downward Journey

It's okay not to have New Years resolutions

It's okay not to have big goals for your life

It's okay not to have plans you want to

Manifest

It's okay not to chase your dreams

That path is not for everyone

Some walk the path of

Unbecoming

They are traveling the road

Backwards

Seeking the core

What is basic and essential

What has been there all along

Though we may be headed the same direction

Our spirals are mirror opposites

Some walk the path of the visionary

Creating abundance and

Dancing inside a multiplicity of forms

And Some walk the path

Of the serpent owl

Becoming more and more naked

Shedding layers of fantasy into the ash

Night sky

Sitting in the dark

And seeing the way the wind moves

They do not walk a line or

Poise their arrow to the target

They sit at the bottom of the ocean

And wait

Letting the waves devour them

They are following the pulse

Of listening

To silence

Like a tiger in the brush

Waiting for existence to strike lightening

Into the fire of the heart

For this kind

Nothing less will do

Some are opening the palms of their hands

And unraveling

To become

Less and less

Until they are

No-Thing

To become the still point

In the center of

All

You know who you are

Keep going

- Maya Luna

From OMEGA: Feral Secrets of the Deep Feminine



This ancient bit of wisdom shows that flash and bang, glitz and glamor, do not make us more human. It simply shows that you really don’t know what it means to be fully human and live life naturally.

She who stands on tiptoe

doesn’t stand firm.

She who rushes ahead

doesn’t go far.

She who tries to shine

dims her own light.

She who defines herself

can’t know who she really is.

She who has power over others

can’t empower herself.

 

She who clings to her work

will create nothing that endures.

 

If you want to accord with the Tao,

just do your job, then let go.

(Tao Te Ching)

—Translator: Stephen Mitchell


“Whoever welcomes this little child in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. For it is the one who is least among you all who is the greatest.” (Jesus, Luke 9:48)


5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him. (Jesus, Matthew 6)

 * Hineni is a Hebrew word that has two parts. Hineh means here and Ani means I. The modern Hebrew word for here is Po, which means “here” in the sense of attendance or role call. But Hineni is “here” in the sense of a deep and waiting presence. Sometimes it is translated as “Behold!” Hineni is used in the Torah as a deeply rooted and authentic response to God in a way that is almost a form of worship in the sense of being ready, willing, waiting, and listening. Hineni has also been used by God in response to a person’s outcry. For me, it is a very profound response to life and to the universe as a nontheist, a human response to that which is greater than me.

** Selah is a Hebrew musical term used in the Psalms. Its true meaning is a mystery but based on context, it seems to denote a pause. “Think about this.” “Consider the words you just heard.” It is a thoughtful pause to reflect.


No comments:

Post a Comment